Thursday, March 24, 2011

The cost of living in Australia

It bites the big one! $14.99 for a kilo of banana's the other day! Would they like my first born child to go with that?!?! Although if I had to trade Jasmine for the bananas they would last a lot longer since she eats the most of them. There's some food for thought.

Kids clothing is another one. I often buy on-line from overseas. Even with postage and exchange rates its often cheaper. The clothes are also better quality so that they girls out grow them before they out wear them and there is a bigger variety to pick from. And when you have two little girls you need variety otherwise everything they wear would match. While that's cute some of the time, I can't do it all the time. I just don't have it in me. In fact everything for kids cost more here. Car seats, prams, cots. The lot. And the variety just isn't there. What I wouldn't have given while pregnant to have a better variety and choice in what we got. Instead we just had to pick from a very small selection.

Computer items are another thing that costs much more here. I know that suppliers have to ship things further and that is going to push the price up but it can't possible triple the price of some things can it?? Especially when you can buy on line and save money.

Of course if you buy on line you know you are putting big Aussie business out of business? *insert sarcasm here* I'm sorry Mr Harvey, but I'm going to think of my own back pocket before I think of yours.

I've often looked on line at housing prices over seas too. If you were to take the size of home we are wanting and place it overseas the price would drop by up to 50%! Some of that is supply and demand. We have a growing population and the housing industry isn't growing at the same rate but still!

Don't get me wrong. I don't think I would move for all the clothes, cars or computers in the world but it would just be nice if the cost of living here was less and more on par with the rest of the world.

Search Box