Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Going about it all wrong

I think I've been going about my treadmill running all wrong. When we first got it in October last year I started off doing intervals. My progress was slow. Really slow. So I changed the way I was doing it. I changed to running for as long as I could, then doing intervals when I could for the rest of my time. Finally I had progress. I was able to run longer. Slower but longer. As previously mentioned I'm now up to running for 9 minutes at time. The last few times I haven't been looking forward to it as much as I used to. Again my progress has slowed. I was running for more time but the total distance I was covering was barely moving. This morning I went back to doing the intervals. Not only did I beat my last personal best, I totally smashed it! Instead of my average speed being 6km an hour it was 6.6km an hour. That's a huge difference! I was able to do 3.8km in 35 minutes. I'm rather pleased with myself.

I think for a while at least I will go back to doing the intervals. Today I did 4 of two minutes of running followed by 1 of walking, then for the rest of the time I did 1 minute of running followed by 1 minute of walking. I think I may have done 1 or 2 two minute walks in there when I needed to. In total I did 18 minutes of running, which is over all the time I spent on the treadmill. Not bad at all. The plan is to keep this up. Perhaps next time I'll be able to do 4 lots of 2 minutes of running. Once the whole 35 minutes consists of that (2:1) and its easy and my running speed to higher then I'll move up to a 3:1 interval. It just depends on my running speed I guess. Perhaps I need to make a goal running speed? Then once I'm doing the 2:1 at that speed for the whole 35 then move up. Hmmm, might have to give it some thought. 

Either way, for the first time in a while I am proud of my distance on the treadmill today!

Search Box