Saturday, March 12, 2011

Don't be jealous

Following on from my post the other day about my run on the treadmill I told someone last night how far I had done in my 35min. Their response "oh ok".

"Oh ok"?!?! I wasn't expecting cartwheels and fireworks but I was expecting a little bit more than an "oh ok". The only real reason I can think that this particular person gave me that response is jealousy. I don't know why they would be jealous. I don't see a reason to be. Perhaps its their own feelings of inadequacy? Who knows.

I don't get how tearing someone else down or not cheering them on is a good way to make yourself feel better. It just makes you look like an idiot. If your doing it because they are doing something that you are wanting to do, then why don't you just say that. Then take steps so you can also meet those goals. 

Does this jealousy simply come from being threatened by me? I don't know why. This person and I are at totally different stages of life. They have had their chances to do what they wanted at my age. They are now at a stage where the only thing they have to worry about is themselves. So really they have all the time in the world to pursue all the goals and dreams that they want to. And the time to dedicate to making sure they happen without interruption from children or work.

There is a very fine line between jealousy and envy. Perhaps there is some envy thrown in there too. I do think that as humans we do tend to envy others a lot. There is always someone with a bigger house, a faster car, a better life. I do think its natural that we want something bigger and better but we shouldn't tear down those who do have those things in order to get them for ourselves. It just doesn't work like that. You have to work for what you want. Getting what you want takes time and effort and loads of hard work. 

I think the best example of envy on a large scale in the way the media tear down celebrities. While I don't think the media owe them anything or that they should not be reporting downfalls of the rich and famous, it seems we, as a society, get pure enjoyment out of seeing these downfalls. I suppose there really is no better way to make ourselves feel better than seeing someone else in turmoil or by tearing them down. However, we must remember that this is only a short term way of feeling better and that the best way to really feel good is to get out there and make life happen. 

Instead of being envious and jealous of those who have more than us, we should be glad that we have the comfort of a roof over our head, food in our bellies and clothes on our back. After all there are many who don't even have that. We need to be grateful for what we do have instead of being jealous of the things we don't have. For all we know, those we are envious of are equally as envious of us.

Search Box