Wednesday, March 23, 2011

If you can't beat them...

Join them! That's my theory anyway. Beat who? Join what? 

Lets back peddle a little. My neighbours husband spends a good part of his time off work playing computer and video games. Mostly World of Warcraft I believe. It drives her nuts. Especially when he stays up late playing them and wants to sleep in the next day and she must spend all morning trying to keep their two young children silent so he can sleep in. This would annoy me. Personally I would not stand (or sit) for it. Its ok to use your down time to play games, but when it starts to interfere with your family life then it has to stop.

Moving on. Beat who? Join what?

If you can't stop your partner completely playing games, and who would want to anyway? That's just being mean and controlling. Instead of complaining, join them! See what all the fuss is about. Who knows you might just find yourself with a new interest together.

And yes, I do speak from experience. Many years ago Rodger taught me how to play Civilisation 3. I was hooked. I remember the first night I played, I was up till 4am playing while he slept on the couch. This was years before Jasmine was even a thought in our minds. I stopped playing for a while but last year Civilisation 5 was released. I'm totally hooked again. It keeps a total of hours played and well, lets say I'm nearing the 200 hours since last September mark.

When possible we play together. It's great fun. It's something we can both do. A decent game does take babysitters though. We played one over the holidays. It took us 9 hours to play. I won! We have played a few times since too. Mostly though we do play on our own but it is still a shared interest. We share strategies. 

What I'm saying is, next time you find yourself rolling your eyes at your partners interests. Stop. Join them. Sure you may not like it as much as they do, but then again you may just find out what has them so hooked on it.

Search Box